Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Reflections: How embarrassing was that?

I was talking to an old friend the other day and we were talking about how much we've learned being 40 and all. How we wished we could get inside our younger selves and avoid some of the mistakes/mishaps we made.

While on this topic, I started thinking about all the embarrassing things that happened to me or what I did to cause myself much embarrassment or humiliation.

1. Tucking my dress inside my pantyhose (several times) and not realizing it while walking in public places-the worse was walking through a Fred Meyer and couldn't figure out what the breeze behind me was coming from for at least 5 minutes. Seriously, I'm cringing as I write this even now.

2. Asking a very "boy-looking" girl in the locker room what he was doing in the girl's lockerroom. I wished I could go back and apologize. She really looked like a boy with a fantastic mullet and it was 8th grade.

3. Telling my crush since 7th grade how much I liked him the last day of our senior year and he just said "thank you". Saw him at my 20th year reunion. Awkward-he still remembered...

4. And of course, going to an afternoon interview with spinach wedged between my teeth. For the entire interview. I got the job but never mentioned it.

I am pretty sure being older doesn't make you immune to embarrassing moments but at least I can laugh at myself now. I'm made of sterner stuff and am not too big to admit when I'm wrong or turn the situation around.

If you follow this blog you know I've got two boys...I routinely embarrass myself in public trying to keep them in line.

No comments: