Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I've got a little secret I don't like to share in the kitchen. When people hear about how this quirk they tease me about not being a true hardcore cook. Nothing outrageous. I just don't like to touch raw meat. If I have to and there's no way around it (i.e. seasoning a turkey) or slice meat for stir-fry I get it done fast and wash immediately. I don't like the smell of raw meat on my hands, especially chicken. I worked as a cook many years ago and had to deal with a lot of raw chicken. I hated smelling like raw & cooked chicken at the end of the night.

So what my secret for avoiding this at home? I boil the chicken pieces for five minutes. Yup. Then I drain and rinse the meat thoroughly. Next, I proceed to remove all the skin and fat, pat dry and continue with the recipe. Make sure you scrub the sink afterwards.

No comments: