Thursday, January 20, 2011

Freezer Jam


My boys love freezer strawberry jam. I love how easy it is to make and typically will make 3-4 batches when strawberries are in season. This amount usually will last us six months. We use it on pancakes, toast, over ice cream, and crepes. Oh, and there's nothin' better than homemade rolls with strawberry jam. Heaven.
So in the winter when strawberries are not in season, I go to Costco and buy the big bag of frozen strawberries. I thaw the berries 3/4 of the way and then proceed with the pectin directions for freezer jam. There you go. Freezer jam all year 'round. My friend Bee gave me this idea a couple of years ago. Love it. Oh, and yes those are old frosting tubs. They work great. The freezer jam jars are costly and when I give jam away, most of the time, I don't get the jars back. So I got tired of shelling out the money for them. Now, I just re-use these containers. They don't leak, are easy to open, and don't take up a lot of room in the freezer.

No comments: