Tuesday, November 29, 2011

When I heard from my neighbor about a person pepper-spraying a Black Friday Walmart crowd in order to get an X-Box 360 Kinect for $150, I thought "What the hell?!" and have followed the story since last Thursday.

At this time, she has turned herself in to the authorities and no charges have been filed because the police are still questioning the witnesses. You can get a more detailed account of this story.

Here's what I don't hear about that should be mentioned. Why isn't anyone saying right out that THIS IS WRONG? How can this person ever enjoy this X-Box knowing she hurt people to get it? Where is our moral shock over this sin of greed? I am shocked and disgusted.

My hope is anyone hearing this story in front of their kids make a point to discuss this. It's not just about reporting the story-it's putting moral value on the story. I think we are losing this. I don't want my kids to know that adults would sink to this level. That their morals has such a low price.

Growing up poor, we NEVER had one Christmas where we got to open presents. We didn't have presents. It was either have a home and food OR toys and what nots. My parents didn't make excuses for not having it. We didn't feel lessen or undervalued for not having presents to open at Christmas. I NEVER felt my parents didn't love me because I didn't get a present.

Sure it would be nice to have something to share in the conversation after Christmas break at school about what we got but it WAS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. My parents worked really hard so we could stay together, spent it the best way they knew, and didn't sell their souls to the devil for us to have a stupid toy.

Okay, I had to get this out there. I am sorry if I offended anyone. It's my blog. My rant is over.

No comments: