Sunday, October 10, 2010

10-10-10 marathon.

My husband heard a saying "If you don't do something outside your comfort zone, you won't grow". Well, I was uncomfortable to say the least today. I ran my very first marathon. Full. I did it. I was scared. I hurt. It was extraordinary. I pushed my self to run straight for 5 hours and 18 minutes. No walking. No crazy speed. Slow and steady and I did it. Me. Former fat kid picked last in any sports-taking over 30 minutes to just run 1 mile. Like being pregnant, given enough time, I maybe could be talked into doing it again.

I had a great support team of friends and family saying I could do it and to my friend Ro for driving and just being a security blanket on race day in case I needed help. Last but not least, to my friend Mr. Beefcake for not only telling me I could do this but helped me train for this run. On top of it, he ran it too.

So what did I learn? Even when you want to give up-stick to your commitment and have the courage to do it-even when you are afraid to.

No comments: