Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The very, very, very best buttermilk pancakes...ever.


Really. I have made many different pancakes and used many different recipes but this one I've had since I was 20 years old. Seriously. This recipe is why I keep bulk cornmeal around. If you've spent the night at my house or have brunch here, you've probably been served these pancakes and have asked for the recipe. I used to make this once a week when the Koo was one because he loved him some pancakes. I would freeze them and just nuke it for one minute and the boy would be so happy eating these.

Nowadays, the boys think it's torture if I serve them anything other than cereal. Warning folks: there is a darkside to making your kids homemade everything-they don't know how good they have it and beg for processed foods.

But I digress, for those of you still with me, give this a go. I have treasured this recipe for 19 years and it's time I share it. It needs to be passed on.

I love the flavor of these pancakes because it has a subtle cornbread with the texture and flavor. Drizzle with maple syrup and it's fan-fabulous.


Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes

3 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
3 TBSP canola oil or melted butter
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Large bowl. Add all the wet ingredients. Whisk until blended. Add all the dry ingredients and mix until smooth like pancake batter (ha). Heat griddle between 325 to 350F. Drop 1/4 to 1/3 cup onto griddle (I don't grease my griddle). Cook about 1 and 1/2 minutes on each side. Butter these bad boys up and drizzle with maple syrup.

No comments: