Monday, April 6, 2009

...and the result was...

I finally checked my time for the 5K I ran on the 28th and I did it in 32 minutes. I would have never believed I could do this. On the treadmill, it used to take me over 45 minutes to run 3 miles. This past three months have been mindboggling in terms of my fitness. I am pushing myself further and little ole me ran 5.4 miles on Sunday after running almost 5 miles on Saturday. Who would have thunk that?! Today I ran 4.5 miles and I am not crying in pain.

Here's the recap of what I know for sure that this time it has clicked in terms of weight and fitness. I finally listened to all the advice regarding the three principles of weight loss: keep some form of jfood journal to help monitor eating portions (Weight Watchers online), exercise, and get a buddy or support system outside yourself. For me, I have enlisted a help of a trainer once a month at my gym and have a WW buddy who is my exercise partner on the weekends to help keep me motivated. She and I are roughly the same weight and height so our workout program mesh really well. She is very encouraging and it helps to have someone to go through this.

In the past, I have either restricted my food intake to the extreme for a few months and then SNAP! ate like a cow to make up for it. Or I would eat like a cow but exercise a LOT. Both these two were not healthy alone because I was either so lethargic from so little food intake that I couldn't find the energy to exercise or I would be so sore from exercising so much that I took comfort in pigging out.

For the first time, I have been eating the right kind of food in the correct portion and have the energy to exercise. I love it. I can't believe I'm the most healthy I've ever been and it only took 37 years to achieve this. Of course I've still got more weight to lose but each week, I'm seeing weight loss and so I'm going to keep on going.

No comments: