Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday dinner...and buttermilk biscuits

There is nothing like meat and potatoes to get my family to eat. Tonight's dinner consisted of baked pork chops, creamy mashed potatoes, country gravy, corn, and flakey, buttermilk biscuits all from scratch. My men love eating the biscuits two ways: dipped in gravy and drizzled with honey. Sunday dinners are important to us because it's usually one night where we all just honker down and spend the evening together.

I'm sure this is going on in almost every family around the country. Before I was married, I disliked Sunday evenings because I didn't want the weekend to end. There was usually homework to catch up on or getting ready for another work week. No one wanted to get together. I felt lonely.

I love Sunday evenings now because it means I get to spend it with my love and our two favorite people in the entire world, our boys.

Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup buttermilk

Mix all together dry ingredients with shortening until shortening is fully incorporated (~1 minute in Kitchen-Aid). Add buttermilk and mix for 3o seconds or until blended (don't overmix).
Roll at least 1/2 inch thick and cut into circles using biscuit cutter. Bake at 425F for 14 minutes.

No comments: