Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm a homing pigeon

Years ago, my friend Don raised homing pigeons. These pigeons, no matter where he released them would find their way back to his house. He would sell these pigeons but gave up because they kept flying back to his house. I have discovered that I am like a homing pigeon in regards to my children.

I don't know if it's because I am a stay-at-home mom or the habit started while I was nursing the boys. When I was nursing the boys, I can count on one hand the number of times I would be away more than an hour away from the boys. Two hours away from them seem to be my limit. I start to get anxious when I'm running an errand or attending any function that runs over two hours because I want to get home to the boys. I just love their faces and I just miss them. I am able to stay away a little longer but I lose focus for whatever I'm doing. When I am away, I don't like to lollygag because I want to get my errands done and come home to see the boys. Is this normal?

Last night I was talking to my lovely husband about this topic and then he asked me how many hours it takes for me to miss him the same way....ughh...awkward...when I scrunched my nose and answered "eight hours" he sighed heavily and responded with "now I know how I rate". In my defense, I spend more time with our boys. I would be mental if I missed him all the time while he's at work.

No comments: