Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Life's a marathon...NOT a sprint

I was reminded of this phrase by my friend Cee the other day.

We were chatting on the phone and I was reeling from the news that I can't run my marathon in October because of plantar fasciitis.  I have been going to physical therapy for two weeks and I tried to run during this time and I was in a lot of pain.

As someone who likes to have 100% completion on tasks/goals not because I think I'm awesome but I hate to let anyone down.  However, realizing my limitations and doing the best thing for me right now does not make me a failure.

It just means life happens. So I don't run a marathon when I'm forty.  I want to be able to walk without hobbling the other 19 hours of the day so I just am not going to sweat it.

I've been given the go ahead to bike.  I am not a strong biker. I am always afraid I'll crash in front of an intersection with everyone looking on and then getting run over.

Weird huh?

Well, I loaded up my 20 year-old bike in the back of our truck and went to our city's trail and biked for 12 miles.  Peaceful with the exception that I didn't check the air pressure on the tires beforehand so I road it with a flat tire.  Oh well I did it and I'm going to do it today but start from my house.

This is scary for me but I keep thinking of something my sister told me "life happens when you leave your comfort zone".

No comments: