Sunday, April 18, 2010

100K Relay Race




Today I ran in a 100k relay race with nine other women. There were nine women teams and we came in third place with a team time of 9 hours and 17 minutes. I ran 7.9 miles most of it downhill. My leg of the race was the second longest with it rated at moderate/hard because of the straight downhill. I averaged a 10 minute mile which was excellent for me.
The weather was perfect-low 70's with a breeze. Lovely. I felt wonderful but here's what I learned from this race: no matter how fit I am getting, my legs can only stretch so far. Someone with long legs jogging can kick my hinny with me running-NOT jogging. Alo, I just don't have the competitive spirit it takes to muster any extra ooomp to pass other runners. I just run. I can go for a long time at a jogging rate. I'm not sure I am good for relay teams. The other runners were definitely faster than me, but they were also a lot taller and in better shape. Two years ago when I first about this race-I remember thinking "Wow, I don't think I could ever do this". Well I did it and got a ribbon for my efforts.
The only thing I didn't like was I was gone for 11 hours with not enough food and I MISSED my husband and boys so much I almost ran home at one point. If I do this again, I will make a point to have my husband and kids meet me and bring more food.

Now the gross part, I was dirty, sweaty, and had to use port-a-potties the entire day and when I finally got home, I couldn't get to the shower for over an hour later. I was rank. Still, I'm so proud of how far I've come from the gal that would take 35 minutes to run a 1.5 miles back in college. My long term hope is to inspire my boys to not ever give up.

No comments: