Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sodium Bicarbonate a.k.a. Baking Soda

I need to sing the praises of baking soda. It has so many uses. I not only use it to bake with and make my refrigerator smell better. I add it to my washer to help give our clothes a little ooommp! if you will since I use the most mildest of detergent because my skin is so sensitive. In addition, I use baking soda to clean my baked on goo clinking to my casserole dishes whenever I bake a roast, vegetables, or lasagna. Just make a paste with a little water and elbow grease and it's bye-bye hard, crusty mess.

In this period of potty training and having two boys, I sprinkle baking soda around the bottom of my toilet and let it stand for 10 minutes. It's amazing how it wicks the hidden yellow liquid hidden underneath the toilet. EEEWWWHHH. Sweep it up and clean your floors as usual.

Every once in a while, I add a tablespoon of baking soda to my sinks and chase it down with vinegar and once the chemical reaction is complete (no more bubbling) I hit it with hot water. Preventative measure to keep my sinks from getting clogged or smelly.

If I have an upset stomach from overloading on chili paste in my food or eating too much acidic food, I add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to 1/3 cup water and drink it. Taste awful but within 10 minutes, my stomach is not upset anymore. In addition, if you rinse your mouth in this solution, your breath smells nice.

As if this ingredient isn't hard working enough, you can make a paste by mixing it with water and scrub your face with it and it helps loosens and remove blackheads. WHOO! HOO!

Lastly, this gift from God is dirt cheap. I buy a lot of baking soda-Costco size is too small, that's how much I buy.

No comments: