Thursday, April 21, 2011

The thing about projects...

It's funny how reading other blogs jogs gets my writing juices flowing. It's not just writing but when I see creative and crafty blogs, I want to try to make things too.

Everyone needs a break. My kids take a break by taking a power nap, zoning out for an hour watching TV, or just playing quietly by themselves. As for me, I have gotten a LOT better about knowing when I need a break and taking it.

Back in the day when I worked and did not have kids, I would get paid to take a break-a vacation. It was scheduled and paid for. However, since being a SAHM, I had a hard time letting go of my duties as head chief homemaker. My breaks used to be having my husband watch the kids so I can clean. Worse, I'd hire a junior high kid to run around with my kids so I can clean. That's no break. I was burned out and resentful. I felt like there was no beginning and end-if I had a clean bathroom, it would only last two days or there's always more dishes to do. I had to discover and re-defind what a break meant. There was even two weekends where I got to get away without husband and kids. I did feel refreshed-I'd like to do it more but it can get expensive and I'd be miserable by the end because I'd miss my kids too much.

After two boys and countless blog lurking, I have come into my own-let me tell ya.

Now, I make time to run or work on a sewing project. Or read. There is a beginning and an end to each of these activities and you get an end product. These mini-breaks have been the key to enjoying my family more. When my sister-in-law came to visit, she got to sew for two days straight and she was relaxed and relieved that she was able to start and finish a project. She works full-time and between running around with the kids' activities and keeping the house looking nice, she has no time for any down-time projects.

I told her I didn't care if there are dishes left in the sink for more than an hour now, I'll let it go overnight even if I can finish a book, sew, or exercise-especially if I can feel my soul needs it. There will always be cleaning to do at home. Now, I don't excessively clean my house, it's not a reflection of me anymore. She left here armed with the "down-time projects for the pure enjoyment of it" attitude.

My rule is, if I don't know you're coming, you get whatever condition my house is in. If you want to see it in tip-top shape, let me know ahead of time. Otherwise, I'm going to love on my kids and hubby and when they are all tucked in, I'm kicked back reading or sewing. That's how I top off my full cup.

Sewing, reading, and running may not be your thing, but find something. Anything that you enjoy to do and do it. You don't have to be perfect. I'll make the other parts of your brain happy.

No comments: