Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tamale Pie


I have not been adding enough recipes on this blog. Here's a wonderful recipe I've had since I was 21 year-old. I went to a potluck and this amazing dish was there. It was so tasty that I literally followed this delightful old lady to please give me a copy of it. She not only gave me a copy of it that night and I had feared I wouldn't get it but a week or so later, she sent it to me in the mail. I will always cherish the kindness of others who are willing to share their food and recipes. I want to grow up to be like her.


Here it is folks. It seems difficult but totally worth it.


Tamale Pie


1 to 1 1/2 lb. lean hamburger

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 cup finely chopped green pepper

1 can of petite diced tomatoes

1-12 oz. can of corn, drained

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sliced black olives (divided)

1 1/2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin powder

1 cup cornmeal (divided)

1 cup water

1 1/2 cup milk

1 tsp salt

2 TBSP butter

2 lightly beaten eggs

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Brown hamburger, onion, and pepper until hamburger is cooked. Add tomatoes, corn, salt, 1/2 of the black olives, chili powder and cumin powder. Simmer for 5 minutes.


In a small bowl, mix water and 1/2 cup cornmeal. Add to the meat mixture and simmer until cornmeal has thickened the meat mixture. Pour into a greased 9 x 13" baking pan.


In a saucepan, add milk, salt, and butter. Add 1/2 cup cornmeal. Bring slowly to a boil with constant stirring. Remove from heat once thickened and slowly add cheese and eggs. Stir to completely blend.


Pour over meat mixture and sprinkle with remaining olives. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Serve.

No comments: